David Harlow is a healthcare lawyer and well-know in healthcare social media circles with his blog and Twitter persona @healthblawg. He joined Get Social Health to talk about marketing and patient privacy, HIPAA and social media. You’ll want to listen to the whole episode but to listen to specific parts again follow the time stamp below:
[00:38] Meet David Harlow
[01:28] How do you commicate in 140 characters?
[03:57] Healthcare Law
[05:05] Our requisite disclaimer
[05:26] Why is patient data private?
[06:20] Privacy law and individual states
[07:27] “Whatever is the most protective of a patient’s privacy, wins.”
[08:50] Is anything a patient shares fair game?
[10:44] The more you deindentify data, the more you lessen its value.
[13:05] Violation: ER MD In Rhode Island
[17:00] HIPAA and Social Media Fines
[19:00] Separating political statements on a nonprofit hospital blog
[20:35] Intermediate sanctions
[20:44] NLRB – Employee right to complain
[23:15] Obligation to train
[24:25] Social media policy – Don’t assume
[25:50] “Practice Preventive Law.” Audits by Office for Civil Rights
[26:50] Social Media Policy ; One Size does not fit all
[28:47] Do you need a social media policy if you only have a website?
[30:10] Facebook, marketing lists and email targeting
[34:56] Marketing was addressed specifically by the HITECH Act
[37:35] The HealthBlawg
[39:55] The difference between Lawyers and Physicians online
[41:50] “Blog Carnivals”
[45:15] Advice to get started in social media.
[48:17] Social Media Tip: Sally Okun of Patients Like Me “Contribute your data”
- David’s Walking Gallery jacket and a post on Regina Hollidays‘ Blog.
- David’s blog post on “The Walking Gallery”
- Two posts about the marketing ramifications of the HIPAA/HITECH Omnibus Rule:
“HIPAA Clarity: Do You Have to Sue HHS to Get It?”
“HIPAA Marketing Rule Guidance: Better Than Nothing”
- Health Wonk Review
- The last time David hosted HWR.
- The last time David hosted another Blog Carnival (Co-founder) which was the HealthCare Social Media Review.
- Here’s a link to the post announcing one edition of the Blawg Review that David Harlow hosted, written by the anonymous editor of Blawg Review, “Ed.”
- David Harlow hosting the now-defunct Grand Rounds