David Harlow is a healthcare lawyer and well-know in healthcare social media circles with his blog and Twitter persona @healthblawg. He joined Get Social Health to talk about marketing and patient privacy, HIPAA and social media. You’ll want to listen to the whole episode but to listen to specific parts again follow the time stamp below:
00:38 Meet David Harlow
01:28 How do you commicate in 140 characters?
03:57 Healthcare Law
05:05 Our requisite disclaimer
05:26 Why is patient data private?
06:20 Privacy law and individual states
07:27 “Whatever is the most protective of a patient’s privacy, wins.”
08:50 Is anything a patient shares fair game?
10:44 The more you deindentify data, the more you lessen its value.
13:05 Violation: ER MD In Rhode Island
17:00 HIPAA and Social Media Fines
19:00 Separating political statements on a nonprofit hospital blog
20:35 Intermediate sanctions
20:44 NLRB – Employee right to complain
23:15 Obligation to train
24:25 Social media policy – Don’t assume
25:50 “Practice Preventive Law.” Audits by Office for Civil Rights
26:50 Social Media Policy ; One Size does not fit all
28:47 Do you need a social media policy if you only have a website?
30:10 Facebook, marketing lists and email targeting
34:56 Marketing was addressed specifically by the HITECH Act
37:35 The HealthBlawg
39:55 The difference between Lawyers and Physicians online
41:50 “Blog Carnivals”
45:15 Advice to get started in social media.
48:17 Social Media Tip: Sally Okun of Patients Like Me “Contribute your data”
- David’s Walking Gallery jacket and a post on Regina Hollidays‘ Blog.
- David’s blog post on “The Walking Gallery”
- Two posts about the marketing ramifications of the HIPAA/HITECH Omnibus Rule:
“HIPAA Clarity: Do You Have to Sue HHS to Get It?”
“HIPAA Marketing Rule Guidance: Better Than Nothing”
- Health Wonk Review
- The last time David hosted HWR.
- The last time David hosted another Blog Carnival (Co-founder) which was the HealthCare Social Media Review.
- Here’s a link to the post announcing one edition of the Blawg Review that David Harlow hosted, written by the anonymous editor of Blawg Review, “Ed.”
- David Harlow hosting the now-defunct Grand Rounds